Monday, October 17, 2011

Profound Thinking About Your Stuff

I updated the title of this post because I decided I wanted to do more of them. I am calling these "Profound Thinking" because they encourage exactly that in people.

My brain requires regular feeding to feel alive. This feeding requires me to travel a bit outside my homey box and get inspired. Inspiration comes from many places, and this comes from my significant other who stumbles up one these gems and shares. "You have to watch this," he will say.

Now I pass it on. This is worth five minutes and forty-nine seconds or however long it takes. Just something to think about:

Graham Hill: Less stuff, more happiness | Video on TED.com

2 comments:

Botanyflora said...

great info - definatly worth watching. I think about tomorrow - no more shopping trips - btw my kindle comes in handy - no more books stacked all over the house (who am I kidding) I have a whole library and can't part with any one book. LOL I just don't have to add to the bookshelves.
Thanks Donna for linking me,
Ulrike

Unknown said...

My guest bedroom has bookshelves all around it. They are full. Then all rooms have shelves and stacks. My goal in the next few years is to reduce the physical books to only those I absolutely love.

I am moving to eReaders though I have made the switch yet. It is not the same, but I get excited thinking that I could have 25,000 books or something like that on just one of those. And then when I travel, I could always take the books with me. I use my books like a giant reference library. This would be so much easier online.

I thought Hill's idea was totally valid. Our "stuff" becomes a burden rather than a pleasure after a certain point. My daughter is a natural minimalist and keeps her possessions pared down. I admire her approach and aspire to it. Actually, my son is a bit like that too.

I'm glad you liked it. I have some other TED talk presentations marked to watch and will share if they are interesting.