Thursday, June 28, 2012

Contest: Creating A Likable, Lovable Lydia (ends July 8)

This will be a quick contest, starting with the release of this blog post and running through July 8. I will try to make sure word gets out about it.

I am currently writing Chapter 19 of DATING A SILVER FOX and find myself needing to research for a couple pieces of information about Lydia from the other four books in the series. Since I never planned to write Lydia’s full story, I wasn’t tracking her biographically beyond her relationship to Lauren. Now I find myself lacking in her background information.

What does this mean? It means I desperately need two pieces of information that I don’t have time to re-read all four books again to get. I was using the “find and search” in my writing software when I realized that it would give me back important writing time if I could ask readers who loved the series and who might already know. So after the head smack for not writing all this down, I decided to offer a free copy of the ebook to the following 3 winners (the third is just because it would nice to see if anything "good" exists):

Winner #1: This will be the first person who can tell me the name of Lauren’s father. I vaguely recall naming him at some point, but as to whether or not I included his name in the texts—I cannot recall. I did a search for “father” in DATING A SAINT, but couldn’t find any name mention. However, there is information Lauren and her family in all four released books. Please indicate the book where you found the information so I can verify.

Winner #2: This will be the first person who can tell me what kind of car Lydia drives. What I recall is that Lauren has some thought about this somewhere in the books, but I don’t remember which book. I looked briefly, but couldn’t find it. I don’t think Lydia ever comes right out and says, but I know I gave her one. I even have a guess about what it was, but I don’t want to be wrong in this book and have to change it. Please indicate the book where you found the information so I can verify.

Winner #3: This will be the person who tells me the most likeable characteristic of Lydia McCarthy. I re-read parts of DATING A SAINT, appalled once again at how awful she was being, both in word and deed. The awful person is the character I am working hard to redeem. So if you recall anything good about her character, please send me a description of the instance (scene from book) along with the book title where you found it.

*******************************************************

Post entries in the comments of this blog article. I will also accept FB posts and Twitter feeds about it.

Thanks for entering!

2 comments:

redjuliet said...

I just finished a re-read of the Never Too Late series again. I want to thank you again for writing a great series & I can't wait to read Dating a Silver Fox.
I couldn't find the name of Lauren's father or a reference to Lydia's car. As for Lydia's character, I can't wait to see how you redeem her! I think that kids are good at knowing when a person is good, no matter what face they show to the world. Lydia seems to be like a lot of women who care more about what thw world thinks of them then about the people in their lives. This is evident in the last lunch Lauren & Lydia share in Dating a Saint when mother tells daughter that James has cost her the charity work she loves. As she thinks about Lauren pregnant & alone she tears up, then thinks about what other people will say. I'm thinking that Lydia's past has something to do with why she cares so much what others think.
I hope this helps!

Unknown said...

Redjuliet, Thanks for the comment. This was a hard one, but the entries I received helped me know I was on the right path. So thanks much. When this book publishes, I'll be in touch to give you a copy. If you use kindle, send me your kindle address at djcmcdonald13@gmail.com.