Thursday, August 16, 2012

Never Thought I'd Live To See BC for Men

I may start this as a new series of posts because lately I've come across many articles talking about things I never thought I'd live long enough to see really happen. This one in the New York Times is an article about birth control for men. We're talking pills, implants, the whole enchilada of choices.

Scientific Advances on Contraceptives for Men

Want to hear the ironic part? This bothers me much more than I imagined, even though the men in the experimental program seem quite upbeat about it. I can't put my finger on why, but I don't think I like this idea after all. Now I am ROFLMAO at myself. Where is the feminist in me now?

I went to Health Department at age 17 to put myself on the pill which was not all that easily available in the mid-seventies. I joined "Planet Parenthood" because I was determined to not be yet another member of my family who "had to get married". One of the nurses there was in my church and I still remember how it felt to worry about what she would think about me. I stayed on the pill off and on until I left the baby business and got a tubal ligation at age 27 after pregnancy number four, which I still think is one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. It liberated me. I've watched BC chemically challenge friends and daughters. We all know it was never the best idea, but it did offer the ability for females to be sexual creatures without bringing unwanted children into the world.

What do you think about men taking a turn and joining the madness?  Frankly, I find myself worried about how it would chemically alter them.

1 comment:

JM said...

Now there will be NO repercussions to their sleeping around as much as they can. I see men going hound-dog on women and humping anything that crosses their path.
I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.
The chemical issue could be a worry too. Men of this decade already have lower testosterone levels than those of 20-30 years ago. Could definitely be issues.