Tuesday, February 28, 2012

New Release: THE DEMON OF SYNAR

The Demon of Synar is now available for sale at the following sites: Smashwords, Amazon US, Amazon UK, Barnes and Noble, All Romance ebooks (coming soon), and Apple (approx. March 11). Since it is very different kind of book for me, I thought I would use this post to talk about it.

I am primarily categorizing this book as a paranormal romance. There is a married (mated) alien couple whose relationship is shattered after he abandons her. When the book opens, the hero is trying to make up for the past. Problem is, they have a bit more to work out than the average couple since the hero put his family's hereditary demon into his wife (mate) without her knowing about it. Someone in his family maybe should have counseled him about talking to her before making big decisions like that one, right? Personally I thought he had a good reason, but his wife? Not so much.

The biggest surprise to me is that I think this book is also the first book of a space opera. I didn't know this was what I was writing until I published the book and had to choose categories for it from the science fiction group. The whole series takes place on Captain Liam Synar's spaceship whose crew does rescue missions when they're not rescuing each other. I am telling a different couple's romance in each book (Liam's and Ania's spans two books), but at the same time new people are always joining the ship and there's lots of other things going on. The sexual heat level in the first book would rate 1 or 2 chili peppers, but the second book will earn 3 or 4.

Book One (THE DEMON OF SYNAR) is a 44k word novella with most of the setup and back story included so you can meet the characters. I needed to get the world building out of the way and readers caught up to speed for the next three books which are action/adventure/romances.

Book Two (THE DEMON MASTER'S WIFE) is 93k words and action packed from the first paragraph of Chapter 1 until the end. I included a short excerpt in Book One and it picks up from the events at the very end of the first book. I loved this second book in the series because I got to write several fight scenes which were great fun. I also got to create a complex plot and let's just say Ania might not be the only one affected by the demon she hosts. Malachi and I are old friends now. Let's hope the editor survives because the second book passed into his hands this week. Hopefully, Book Two will release sometime after mid-March contingent upon edits working out well. I'm in the nail biting phase of waiting to see.

It's also looking like Book Three (THE SIREN'S CALL) is going to be just as fast paced since it's going to have to start with a rescue. Dorian and Gwen are two of my favorite characters ever. They are always being surprised by each other and always surprising me, too. It's my favorite kind of threesome. As for sexual heat rating in this book? I may have to include a warning. Dorian is a Siren after all.

I hope you enjoy reading this series as much as I am enjoying writing it. ~ Donna McDonald

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Love your world building! Can't wait for the next book. :-)

Unknown said...

It's coming soon, Yvonne! The editor has it now.